key dates and events in land settlement in NSW are as follows:
- 1788: Governor Phillip grants first land to
- 1789: Grants of land to encourage free settlers.
- 1793: First free settlers
- 1806: 22 stipulated "settlement districts".
Change in land use from agricultural to pastoral.
- 1826: Beyond the Blue Mountains, north to the
Hunter Valley and south to the Shoalhaven.
- 1829: Eastern Australia split into 2 boundaries
surveyed and guarded.
- 1831: 3.5m acres of the best land alienated.
- 1836: Squatters given right to graze stock.
- 1855: Responsible government, gold, "free
selection before survey".
- 1861: Crown Lands Alienation Act, Crown Lands
Occupation Act, Conditional Purchases, "dummies".
- 1862: Torren's Real Property bill
- 1875: More dummying, illegal contacts, criminal
offences minimum age set at 16 years. Commission recommends abolition
before survey. Legislation; runs subdivided, selection before survey,
colony subdivided into 3, Local Land Boards, right of appeal.
- 1889: Land Appeal Court Crown Lands Act; survey
before selection HS, SL. Method for the valuation of improvements on
crown lands determined.
- 1901: Control of the Western Division to the
Western Lands Commission, Closer Settlement Act, SP.
- 1902: Appraisement Act; Conditional Purchase,
Conditional Lease, Homestead Selection. Important amendments to Crown
Lands Act Lease. Conversion Act; HS, SL to freehold. Non residential CP
to residential CP, SP, CPL. Holdings taken up after this act were
subject to restrictions on transfer (HMA).
- 1910: A reduction in the value of required
improvements to be carried out on CPs where the UV was less than
$2/acre. Fencing no longer compulsory.
- 1912: Federal Labor introduced HF, SubL, CnL,
right of conversion.
- 1913: Crown Lands Consolidation Act of 36 Crown
Lands Acts since 1861.
- 1916: 2 more inconvertible tenures WL,TLL.
- 1914/18: War period. RSS Acts of 1916,1917,1919
for closer settlement.
- 1917: Conversion Act; HF, SH, CnL to purchases.
- 1921: Abolition of Land Appeal Court. Land and
Valuation Court established.
- 1924: Land set aside for returned soldiers,
their sons, share farmers, diplomats, sons of farmers, and migrants.
Extensions of various leases.
- 1927: Provisions for the determination of rents
and capital values.
- 1931:Provisions for the determination of
prices, values, rents, licenses, and capacity.
- 1931:Depression. Interest rate reduced to 4%,
and 2.25% in rent for 3 years.
- 1934: Large landholdings in the Western
- 1941: War Service Land Settlement Act .
- 1942: Land to be surrendered could be withdrawn
any time. Home maintenance areas abandoned 2 years later, terms of CL,
SL to 40 years from 28 years. Interest rate on CP reduced from 4% to
- 1942: CSA(Conv)Act, SPL,SGP into leases in
perpetuity, irrigation settlement principally at Leeton and Griffith.
- 1949: Western lands policy was brought to a
successful conclusion in breaking up the large stations in the Western
- 1956: Crown Lands Consolidation Amendment Act
- 1959: War Service Land Settlement Scheme
- 1960: Further amendments. A number of deadwood
- 1964: OL, AL, ScrubL, InfLL, ORL,
IL,TLL,OHS,OSL,OCL, OCP, SpCPL eliminated. Term for SpL increased from
28 to 40 years.